this is the story of how I told scotty I was pregnant...
{warning: I only spared a few details}
A little over 3 months ago I woke up to a normal Friday morning and went to the bathroom to get ready for work. I had been feeling kinda crappy but since I recently got off of birth control it was totally normal for me to feel bad and to be a couple days late. Being my curious self I took a preg test anyways just to get my hopes down and prepare myself for another torturous period. I didn't think anything of it and continued with my normal morning routine. When I got out of the shower I remembered and look down at the stick in disbelief. I stood there dripping wet, all by myself, in total shock. It was positive.
I'm pretty optimistic but when it came to getting pregnant I prepared myself for the worst. Even though it would be frustrating I was totally prepared to try for at least six months before I even started tracking ovulation and wait at least a year before I became obsessed and go to the doc for help. I watched my oldest sis try for years and I just assumed it might also take long for me... so I was fully ready to not be disappointed once a month. That being said, Scotty and I were trying and hoping and praying but not expecting anything to happen right away.
I don't really remember what happened during the next couple minutes... I was freaking out. I had to tell somebody... I knew scotty couldn't answer his phone and I couldn't say it over text/email. How was I supposed to get ready for work now?! Scotty was in the middle of his OBGYN rotation and had been really busy with long hours. I hadn't seen him really in the last couple days and I was looking forward to our Friday date night. Could I wait til then to tell him?! Being close with my coworker Mandy (who also found out she was preg that week, crazy!) I texted her and ran over to work. Working together for over a year now we knew each other really well and had talked about ways I could tell my family when I got pregnant. Since I couldn't tell Scotty right away I thought it would be so awesome to surprise him in one of those ways! For lunch we went over to P.F Changs and told the manager what I wanted to do... I grabbed some fortune cookies, made reservations, and bought a gift card. We came back to work and after many attempts we put the same fortune in two of the cookies. (wrap the cookie in a wet paper towel and microwave for a couple seconds... then quickly replace fortune while cookie is still warm) We even glued that plastic covering back over them and you couldn't even tell!!
Work was agonizing to say the least. I finally got a text from him around 4 asking how I was doing... I told him I had won a gift card from my Rewards & Recognition committee and I had made reservations at 6. He was stoked for free dinner and didn't even question it because I had won gift cards before. When I initially saw him it was hard to not share the huge news but by this point (and after all my planning) I could wait another hour. With the fortune cookies in my purse, we finally went to dinner. When I told the hostess my name she smiled at me and the other waitress's all gave that cutesy look at us and totally almost gave something away (scott says he didn't even notice but it was obvious haha) They sat us at a nice private booth and our waitress was super nice. I don't know if I was just anxious or cause I was sick being preg but chinese food was the last thing that sounded good to me.. I barely ate anything. gag. We had a great dinner though- we hadn't really spent time together in awhile so it was nice to catch up and hear all about his rotation and his experience delivering babies. At one point he even said "its totally normal to take a year to get pregnant for like 80% of women"... little did he know he was about to get the biggest surprise of his life. I acted like I had to go to the bathroom to give our waitress the fortune cookies and told her to bring them out asap cause I couldn't wait any longer. We weren't even done with our meal but she brought them over and Scott picked one up right away. I could see the super glue on the plastic wrap where we had carefully put it back together. I tried my hardest to continue in our conversation but I was just staring at the cookie as he opened it up and read it. His expression was priceless... total shock/confusion. I can't say his exact words since he swore haha I guess my well worded fortune was so legit he thought it was just a coincidence cause we were just talking about pregnancy. He looked at me and I said "its true... I found out this morning... I'm pregnant!!!" AH he had no clue, we hugged and laughed and smiled and got really nervous/giddy as reality sunk it... it was such an AMAZING moment. I was so happy that he finally knew and that we were going to have a baby!!! The manager came over and said congrats and that he had told some of the tables around us.. one even payed our bill but remained anonymous. I'm pretty proud of myself for keeping it a secret, everything worked out perfect!
What was going to just be our normal every friday night-date night will now be a night we will never forget. We coudn't be more excited for this next chapter in our life :)


Gosh, Chels. You've got me all choked up, and I'm in public at the library! That's such a sweet story. Congratulations again!
ReplyDeleteChelsey... that is the best story! I love it! I teared up a little too... Where did you think up that idea??
ReplyDeleteCongrats! Such a cute story. Totally teared up. i can't believe someone paid for your dinner - that is so sweet!
ReplyDeleteSo fun! I am so excited for you :) Being a mom is the best. Make sure to invite us to one of your Utah baby showers! Love ya.
ReplyDeleteThat's super cute and super exciting! Congrats!
ReplyDeletechelsea, i have NO Idea how i have never seen your blog before. i just found it on alyssa's. this post made me CRY! i am so excited for you! i remember when we were "trying" with leah we felt the same... that it might take a good six months, but little did we know it truly would only take like one week! lol! congratulations! i hope you are feeling at least a litlte better!
ReplyDeletexo, emily (linnell) marchant