Scotty was not on call this weekend... so automatically it was a great weekend- plus we seriously celebrated St. Patricks Day, seriously. On Friday night we hosted a green dessert party. The Halls, Neilsons, Logans, and Matty and Kim came over and we had a great night catching up and eating.We did our usual get together night- all the girls sat on the floor and laughed hysterically over something for hours while the boys got the chairs and talked med school. Scotty was so excited to have Irish music playing via pandora. Unfortunately I didnt take any pics.. again, except for my Mtn Dew cupcakes that surprisingly turned out delish. Jess made green sugar cookies with cream cheese frosting and fruit, Kim made breadsticks with a pot of gold (cheese dip), Danielle brought mint icecream, and Alison made shamrock shakes. Needless to say.. my baby was freaking out the rest of the night, total sugar rush. Luckily he calmed down around midnight after everyone left and I crashed on the couch.
On Saturday we slept in and then drove down to Chicago for the festivities. It was very adventurous of us since I'm prego but to spend the day with my hubs in the city was so worth the tender, swollen feet. We found awesome parking (only $6 for the day) and started walking down to the parade scene. It was crazy insane to say the least. There were swarms of green... most were drunken youngies (yes I know they were prob our age) but there were also lots of families with strollers and surprisingly some small babies. Of course we got slurpees at the first 7eleven we saw (there is seriously one on like every corner.. love chitown).
 |
|
We made it down to millennium park to attempt to see the parade... when we got down there Scotty (not me, surprisingly) had to pee so bad that he made his way over to the portapotties. Since he left his cell phone at home I told him I would wait right by this tree... 45 minutes and one anxiety panic attack from me later he finally came back. By then the parade had already started, a drunk girl had puked by the tree, swarms of partiers had invaded the trees to get a better view, tons of livid families leaving, a group of skank girls doing green jello shots in the middle of the park and one overheated pregnant lady, already tired from standing. Ridiculous. The weather was gorgeous.. 80 degrees! Girls were in swim suit tops and shorts and everyone wore flip flops. Crazy. Once scotty finally came back, we gave up on the plan of actually "seeing" the parade through the crowd and walked to the park were it was more open. Or so we thought. Everyone had the same plan as us apparently because they had to block off the bean due to crowding. I reached my breaking point and told scotty we had to get out of there!! I could only protect my belly so much while hooligans tried to hop the fence to the bean, only to be chased by the cops. It was out of control.


We got lunch at johnny rockets and it was so nice to sit... and eat.. and people watch. Then we went to the river- I couldn't believe how neon green it was dyed. So amazing to see- made it all worth it!
We spend the afternoon walking michigan ave until I couldn't hide my exhaustion in my expressions anymore. I did pretty well all day and was really proud of myself. Despite the crowds, it honestly felt good to have a mini vacay with the hubs before I go home this week. I'll be back in Utah on the 22nd!!!
 |
| cheers! |
i seriously love chi-town. we went to the parade about 4 years ago when my sister lived there with her family. they lived on ohio so we were right near the parade. jake and i broke up a fight. this guy was pushing a pregnant lady so we, of course, had to step in and stop the craziness. i have never seen such drunken fools in my life. totally not the place for kids. good thing nolan was so young and in a stroller. seeing your pictures make me miss going there.
ReplyDeletei absolutely love your light that you made!!!! so awesome. very impressive with the patience it took. and you look very cute pregnant. these next few weeks are going to fly.