About three months in, I starting catching on to other employees taking advantage of me because I was dependable and a fast typer. I would notice them slacking off and at the end of the day handing me a pile of their work for me to finish. As ridiculous as it was I had to finish that work because we were a "team." My manager didn't care. Despite wanting to quite on the spot, I kept a smile on my face and stayed positive.
One day I was talking to Lisa, a girl that sat three computers down from me and she said "The first time I saw you I thought you were going to be a total brat but your actually one of the nicest people I have ever met".... um ok.
Months passed and my coworkers had a greater understanding of who I was. I wasn't just the blond short girl- I was religious, I didn't drink {ever}, I was married at 21, I spent my Tuesdays with the youth, I was easy to get a long with...aka "Mormon from Utah". I became really close with the crazy lady who sat next to me, Barb. Love her. Every day we would eat lunch together where she would tell me about her religious views and I would tell her more about mine. It was so different living outside of my Utah bubble. Since no one knew about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, it was nice to have an opportunity to break down the misconceptions of what they saw from the HBO show "Big Love." No my husband doesn't have more then one wife and we're not in a cult- I was normal, I was a Christian. Lisa starting hearing our conversations and one day came up to me and asked, "What do you believe happens when you die?" As nervous as I might have felt, I got a huge smile and answered then said "...anything you want to know about Mormons just ask!"
For the next couple weeks she would ask and I would answer the best I could. We would email back and forth and meet for lunch. I would pray each night to have the Spirit with me as I tackled some of her hard questions. She appreciated that I was honest with her if I didn't know right then, and would give her the answer the next day. She confided in me that she was Pagan and believed she was a witch and had powers. Her views were based on the Universe and a Scientific Theology. We shared equal respect for each other. I'm not one to press religion on anyone but I decided to give her a Book of Mormon. I highlighted the scripture Moroni 10:4 "I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true..." and I wrote her a card with my testimony and the influence this book has had in my life. She came in the next morning and said she read all of 1 Nephi !! She loved it.. and of course came to me with more questions. We starting reading the same chapters together each night and discussing it at work the next day. I invited her over for dinner so she could met Scott and really get into a discussion about our faith. She loved that we believed that we are not punished for Adam's transgressions, we get baptized at age 8, the role of the woman, that we were "true" Christians in the sense that we go to church every Sunday and don't make exceptions like other religions, and that there must be opposition in all things. Joseph Smith's story of restoring the Gospel made perfect sense to her. I set up dinner with the missionaries a couple weeks following, and despite having some really awkward shy missionaries, we had a great time discusing her questions. She appreciated Scott giving her straight answers instead of a round-about way to try to "convince her". She loved that I would correlated some of our concepts into her views- Like how she felt she has a knowing power, or intuition, and we have the Holy Ghost to guide and direct us.
Over six months passed and I finally got my current job. I would still see her around the hospital and we would catch up on the drama of my old department. A whole year passed. We would email and occasionally go out to dinner. She would complain about trying to quit smoking/drinking and I would complain about living in Wisconsin. Last week I got an email from her that said "I quit my waitressing job and I can finally go to Church with you!!" After working weekends for the past 6 years it surprised me that she would want to spend her first free Sunday going to Church...
I was kinda nervous to be honest- I couldn't imagine coming from her background and experiencing the "culture shock" of investigating another church. But it went GREAT. We walked into the church building and she starting tearing up when she saw a picture of Christ not on a cross and people making her feel welcomed. Sacrament meeting was very spiritual. The Young Women and us leaders sang "As I have loved you" and the two talks were on last weekends General Conference messages of the Prophet. She gained a better understanding that the most important Prophet is our living Prophet and she thought it was very relevant to our time. She was confused that our Bishop didn't speak every Sunday but thought it was fantastic that the members held great responsibility to prepare talks/lessons. I explained that everyone had a different calling asked by the Bishop and the organization of our Church. Our Gospel Principals class was on the topic of faith and it was a relaxed atmosphere to have open disscusions. I had to teach in Young Womens so she went to Relief Society and learned more about the Second Coming. She said it was the friendliest church she had ever gone too and everything "made sense" :) She left saying that she now was 50 more questions for me... and wants to come again!
| http://mormon.org/ |
When I think back on those crappy 6 months in the Admitting department I now have a greater understanding of why the Lord wanted me there over the other options. While it was a trial for me, it was a blessing to have become friends with Lisa at a time when she felt there was no hope left in her life. It was an amazing lesson that I need to stop being so self absorbed and take each situation (as terrible and long as they might seem) with a Christ-like attitude and eternal perspective. You might question why your going through certain trails in your life but I have a testimony that God knows you and can see the bigger picture.
So awesome! What a great experience. [Totally crying right now.] Isn't it crazy what the Lord will put in our way - we think it's an obstacle, but really it's a great learning experience. It sounds like she wasn't the only one learning and growing during your time together. I'm glad she enjoyed her experience at church - keep us updated!
ReplyDeletei loved this post! thank you for sharing. Bobby's research year, while adding ANOTHER year to med school, turned into a similar experience for me. Keep up the good work. You are doing a fantastic job!
ReplyDeleteGot teary-eyed...just thought I would let you know. It is comforting to know that we still have strong members of the Church like you to go around and help others. I will probably be turning back to this post when Chris and I move and I struggle with the same issue of finding a job I like.
ReplyDeleteThanks for this post Chels. Totally needed it. You are an angel to more people then you realize. xoxo
ReplyDelete